Call For Project
An electronic tow rope
2 answers for this call so far:
This video shows the results of the latest theses project answering this call
Unfortunately, adapting the bigger rescue boats to carry the smaller ones has been complicated, and in reality the Rescuerunners ar mostly used for training and operations in close vicinity to the stations.
How might we make the Rescuerunner follow a bigger rescue boat automatically, on a safe distance?
Benefits we hope to gain:
- A smaller rescue boat at hand if needed, without exhausting the crew
- No need to make adoptions for launch and recovery to existing bigger boats, meaning no compromising existing performance and functionality
- Eliminating the risks, hassels and extra cognitive effort of towing
Miscellaneous points to concider:
- Might the same system also be used for remotely controlling the boat?
- What happens if the following boat breaks down or has to stop? Automatic anchoring? Signaling?
- Could the boat also be launched automatically?
And finally some rules of engagement for this exploration:
- Any new system must bring real benefits without adding much cognitive load for the users who might already by stressed out physically and psychologically by the rescue situation.
- As a voluntary organization we can’t afford systems that require much training or maintenance.
- A human centered design approach with our voluntary crews and those in need of our help in mind will be a critical factor for success.
Who is behind the project?
This is a project from the Innovation office at Swedish Sea Rescue Society, SSRS. The SSRS is a non-profit organization that performs the majority of sea rescues in Sweden thanks to some 2000 volunteers. Our constitution says that we are to:
- Further the interest in sea rescue matters
- Propose ways to improve sea rescue
- Perform sea rescue operations
The person proposing this project is me, Fredrik Falkman. I’m an industrial designer by training working for the SSRS with development projects and general innovation. Beside my work at the SSRS, I run a design consultancy: Fredrik Falkman Design AB, FFD.
Share your thoughts about this project and let the project team know what you think. Comments are moderated to make sure a friendly and nice tone are kept by all.
Answers to this Call
The following projects have been created as an answer to this call for projects.
Development of a path following system for a RescueRunner
This path following system allows the RescueRunner to follow a bigger rescue boat to the scene of the accident without the help of a driver.