Call For Project
Automatic UAV launching box
Keeping our future unmanned planes on high allert.
To develop a system of remotely operated UAV:s â€“ as described in the â€œProvidenceâ€ project â€“ Â we would have to design a remotely controlled launching mechanism housed in a protective box.
Here is the project video for â€œProvidenceâ€ for a quick background:
At this time we are looking at using a C-Astral plane. The plane has a wing span of 230 cm and a is launched by means of a pneumatic catapult rail which is ca 2 meters long. Here is a preliminary wish list:
- The plane will be placed in the housing by a service person
- The plane must then be kept charged and happy indefinitely, protected from the elements year round
- The functionality mustnâ€™t be impaired by icing or snow
- It should be kept safe from theft and tampering
- The box would probably need to sense the wind and rotate for upwind launching
- We need to know that there are no obstacles before takeoff
- Minimal environmental footprint
The placement of the boxes must also be considered. For the Swedish Sea Rescue Society, it might often make sense to place the boxes at, or on top of our many diverse rescue stations.
Here is an inspirational video about a launching box for a quad copter:
Related projects:Â Providence â€“Â UAV system to support Search and Rescue
Who is behind the project?
This is a project from the Innovation office at Swedish Sea Rescue Society, SSRS. The SSRS is a non-profit organization that performs the majorityÂ of sea rescues in Sweden thanks to some 2000 volunteers. Our constitution says that we are to:
- Further the interest in sea rescue matters
- Propose ways to improve sea rescue
- Perform sea rescue operations
The person proposing this project is me, Fredrik Falkman. Iâ€™m an industrial designer by training working for the SSRS with development projects and general innovation. Beside my work at the SSRS, I run a design consultancy:Â Fredrik Falkman Design AB, FFD.
Share your thoughts about this project and let the project team know what you think. Comments are moderated to make sure a friendly and nice tone are kept by all.
Answers to this Call
The following projects have been created as an answer to this call for projects.
Finding a good construction and design for a coastal environment
For a good implementation of the use of drones in sea-rescue operations, there is a need to develop autonomous launching boxes for fixed-wing drones.